Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Josh Mitchell's biography

  Hello everyone my name is Josh Mitchell, I was born in 1977 and spent the first eight years of my life in the south end of Saint Joseph.  At the young age of 8 we moved to Connecticut only to move back again in 2000.  I served my country in the Navy for 4 years which at the time was the hardest thing I have ever done.  I am now a single father of a 3 year old little boy and can honestly say the time spent in the Navy was a vacation compared to everyday life now.  In my past I have had a lot of struggles with reading and writing because of a nasty little thing called Dyslexia.  For those of you who do not know Dyslexia is a learning disability that effects your perception of certain letters and numbers (i.e. I see p's as q's and b's as d's) it’s like looking at them backwards.  I have managed to control and overcome this disability for the most part.  As a reader I am slower than most but I feel I make up for this with the ability to comprehend better.  As a writer I try to find a source of inspiration for what I am writing I feel I write with a lot of emotion.  I believe my strengths when it comes to reading and writing is finding a connection between me and what I’m reading or writing.  I try and put myself in the middle of it and start from there. I feel my weakness is that I have to spend more time on projects than most.   I am always excited when it comes to reading and writing for the challenges that come along with each new exercise.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh,

    Welcome to 104! I'm excited to have you this semester.

    I find it interesting that serving in the Navy is easy as compared to being a single father of a three year old. Could you tell me how? I'm not a parent, nor have I served in the Navy, so I'm uneducated here.

    Thank you for sharing your learning disability. It is never easy to admit such things. I do have to ask though have you contacted Michael Ritter. He is in the Disabilities Service Coordinator. He may be able to provide more assistance in terms of reading and writing. Please let me know. In order to accommodate you, I'll need a letter or be contacted by Mr. Ritter. His contact info is listed on the syllabus.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete